Toronto Marlies vs Texas Stars -Game 2 Calder Cup Final

By: Nabeela Damji

Sunday, June 3, 2018


So, I missed Game 1 of the Calder Cup Finals.  Apparently, it was amazing. 


Would the Marlies repeat a 6-5 win in epic fashion to take a 2-0 series lead against the Texas Stars?



Of all the series, and probably most of the Marlies games I have been to, this was the most physical and fast paced of them all.

Physical game but unable to get as many shots on goal on for either team

Marlies 7-2 shots on goal with nine left in the period.  They had some great chances shooting wide of the net for most of the period.

Just under nine Colin Greening with a slapper but ended up in the chest of Mike McKenna.

Then, late in the first Captain Ben Smith from the blue line deflected a point shot from Travis Dermott through the legs of McKenna to give the Marlies a 1-0 lead.  This was Smith’s sixth goal of the playoffs

Toronto goalie Garrett Sparks didn’t have much to do in the first. Shots were 13-6 for the Marlies, and they went into the locker room with a 1-0 lead after one. 


After the game Coach Sheldon Keef said he was happy with the first period of play and said of that period how he wants to carry those characteristics over to the next game “I think it’s just how we moved the puck, I thought we moved it with a lot of confidence and we made plays.  I thought we played tight in the first game so it’s nice to see our guys out loose and relaxed and moving the puck around and we need more of that”

The Stars came out into the second with a quick goal by to tie up the game. 

Texas went on the powerplay after a holding call against Fredrik Gauthier.  Then almost immediately after, Colin Greening went off for another holding penalty to give the Stars a 5 on 3. The Marlies killed off the five on three in style, with Sparks making two key saves.  IT also ended in the Stars getting called for Hooking by Curtis McKenzie.  Toronto did a great job of killing the 5 on three but weren’t able to do much on the man advantage after.

With less than nine to go the Marlies were back on the powerplay, but again couldn’t find the back of the net.  The Stars were back on the powerplay to close out the second period when Mason Marchment was called for slashing.  


The game was tied heading into the third, with the Stars outshooting the Marlies 19-18 through two.


Something’s gotta give. Both teams are 3-0 when tied after two. 


The Marlies found themselves in penalty trouble within the first five minutes of the third, with Vincent LoVerde off for holding the stick.  On the man advantage, the Stars were able to take the lead when Gavin Bayreuther’s one timer beat Sparks. 


Was the third period Rocky motivational speech on the jumbotron enough to help the Marlies?


Not so much.


The Marlies were held to just four shots in the final frame, as the Stars took this one 2-1. After the game Captain Ben Smith said of the next game “We saw it there the last ten minutes we could hardly get through the neutral zone so definitely some adjustments to be made”




Toronto: B. Smith (T. Dermott),

Goaltender: G. Sparks (22/24)


Texas: C. McKenzie (D. Heatherington, B. Regner),  G.Bayreuther (J.Dowling, T. Morin),

Goaltender: M. McKenna (21/22)