Toronto Maple Leafs vs Buffalo Sabres Game Report Dec 4th, 2018

By: Nabeela Damji

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

This Auston Matthews kid is a keeper.

Mathews scored twice again, the second being the game winner with three seconds left in OT as the Leafs beat the Sabres 4-3 in Buffalo on Tuesday. This was his 15th goal in 14 games this season, and the Leafs won their fifth straight, matching their best start in 84 years. Matthews also added an assist giving him seven points in three games since coming back from his shoulder injury.

Patrick Marleau scored the tying goal with just over five minutes left in the game to force overtime, while Jake Gardiner also added a goal.  Mitch Marner added an assist in the win to give him a total of 11 in the last five games. Goalie Frederik Andersen was red hot again, stopping 38 shots and winning his fourth straight.

The Sabres, who dropped to 0-2-2 since their 10-game winning streak, got two goals from Jack Eichel, a goal from Sam Reinhart who also had an assist, while Rasmus Ristolainen had two helpers on the night. Linus Ullmark stoped 26 shots in the loss.

Mathews put Toronto on the board first 8:33 into the second after Ron Hainsey’s shot from the right circle hit Buffalo’s Conor Sheary’s leg and bounced into the air. Matthews, who was behind the net jumped over gloved the puck and wrapped it arpund and into the left post for the 1-0 lead.

Five minutes later it was the Sabres turn to get on the board, when Reinhart tipped in a shot from the point to make it 1-1.

With 10 seconds left in second, Marner came flying up the left wing and spun around to make a backhand pass, where John Tavares fed the puck to Gardiner who flipped it into the net on the open left side to make it 2-1 Leafs.

In the third, it was Eichel who scored twice to give the Sabres the lead. His first came from a Ristolainen pass from the right point, one timing it into the net at 2:39 to tie it up at 2 apiece.


He then scored the go ahead goal after Kadri gave up the puck at the Leafs blueline.  Reinhart fed Eichel who wired a shot inside the right post past Andersen with 7:03 left for the 3-2 lead.

Then over a minute later, when Morgan Rielly’s shot from the left point went wide of the net, the puck bounced to Marleau who came out behind the net and buried it inside the right post past Ullmark to tie it at 3.

In overtime, with three seconds left, Kasperi Kapanen set up the game winning goal by dropping a pass to Matthews behind him. Mathews then got around Evan Rodrigues and snapped one over Ullmark’s left shoulder for the 4-3 win.